According to the definition committee of the American Marketing Association Sales Management meant “The Planning, direction and control of personal selling including recruiting, selection equipping, assigning, routing, supervising, paying and motivating as these tasks apply to the personal sales force”. Following are the important task involved in the success of sales management in any organizations:
1) Setting personal selling objectives.
2) Formulating sales policies.
3) Structuring the sales force.
4) Deciding the size of the sales force.
5) Designing sales territories.
6) Developing the sales territories.
7) Developing the sales forecasts and sales budgets.
8) Fixing sales targets for individual sales territories/salesman.
9) Creating the sales force
10) Managing the sales force
11) Managing the marketing channels.
12) Ensuring growth and developing new accounts.
13) Sales communication and reporting
14) Sales coordination and sales controlling including sales expense control.
15) Building the sales organization
16) Co-ordination with marketing management in the areas like, product mix, pricing, distribution, advertising and sales promotion.
17) Creating and maintaining right image for the company and its products in the market.