Marketing management in consultation with sales management determines person selling’s exact role in the promotional program. Usually the marketing planning group sets personal selling objectives, determines sales related marketing policies, formulates personal selling strategies and finalizes the sales budget.
Types of personal selling objectives:
Selling objectives broadly classified into two categories they are qualitative objectives and quantitative objectives.
1) To do the entire selling job.
2) To service existing accounts.
3) To search out and obtain new customers.
4) To secure and maintain customers co-operation in stocking and promoting the product line.
5) To keep customers informed on changes in the product line and other aspects of marketing strategy.
6) To assist customers in selling the product line.
7) To provide technical advice and assistance to customers.
8) To assists with the training and middlemen’s sales personnel.
9) To provide advice and assistance to middlemen on management problems.
10) To collect and report market information of interest and use to company management.
1) To capture and retain a certain market share.
2) To obtain sales volume in ways that contributes to profitability.
3) To obtain some number of new accounts of given types.
4) To keep personal selling expenses with in set limits.
5) To secure targeted percentage of certain accounts business.
ref: sfa and sales management software